Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Reluctant Renovator: And so it Begins


I love good renovation stories. I love how they seduce me with their whispered promises, endless energy, optimism and, of course, their humour.

Those were the first words that I wrote on this blog (Renaissance Daze/Days) and they still hold true;  I do love good renovation stories!  The thing is, though I find these stories endlessly entertaining and inspiring, I really don't want to star in one.  Apparently as far as my home is concerned I have become a "Reluctant Renovator" to say the least.

Perhaps it's all my experience managing IT projects.  I would like to believe that my story will be mostly sweetness & light à la Diane Lane in Under the Tuscan Sun but experience says it will probably be closer to that of Tom Hanks in The Money Pit.


Worse yet, I could end up like Nathan Lane & Lee Evans in Mousehunt.


You see where I'm going with this.

Not that I'm actually concerned about intelligent mice sabotaging the project; I worry about things like scope creep, time delays, cost overruns, bad decisions that I will have to live with for the rest of my natural life, etc. etc.  Considering that I've spent the last three years reducing the stress in my life isn't this just like pinning a big "Kick Me" sign to my own back?

Then again, how bad can it be?  I mean really.  Perhaps I can take all my project management experience and actually put it to good use.  Perhaps the end result will be absolutely fabulous!  In any case, I'm finally going to face my fears and give this home renovation project a shot.  As therapy, I'll be blogging a bit about it and above all I'll be trying to keep my sense of humour intact.



Wish me luck!
___________________________________________________________

Find Tatiana Dokuchic on Google+

1 comment:

  1. Dear Tat,
    Just remember, things will never again look as scary as they do at the very start. Once you are underway, the boogeyman gets smaller and smaller. Good luck, brave girl. LOL - Summer S.

    ReplyDelete